Monday, April 14, 2008

Gout Cures

Gout Cures You Can Use Help Ease Painful Attacks

People who have gout are always looking for cures for gout that work quickly. Even using prescription drugs such as allopurinol doesn't guarantee one will avoid a painful episode. Indomethacin and colchicine usually take at least a day or two to work. So, what is a person to do? I am a fellow gout sufferer. A couple years ago, I'd get an attack approximately every 2-3 weeks. Even after I was prescribed allopurinol I still had painful gout attacks on a regular basis. This in spite of the fact that I don't drink alcohol and I was not eating gout foods such as beef or bacon. I decided I had enough of the pain and I personally did not wish to be on prescription drugs so I began to research different natural cures for gout I could use to eliminate this issue.

I have used each of these steps in my own personal
gout treatments plan. They are natural methods and have enabled me to stop taking allopurinol* and have helped me to only have two gout attacks in the past three years, and the two attacks I had were minor compared to the ones I used to have.

How to cure gout


The key to curing gout naturally is prevention. The root cause of this disease is your diet. So you need to eat healthy. Here are some of the foods I ensure are a regular part of my menu so I can try to avoid further pain.

1. Bananas.

Bananas may come as a surprise to be on a natural gout cures list, but they contain a couple key elements that will help you in the fight to overcome this painful disease. Bananas contain a lot of potassium.
Adequate amounts of potassium lowers your risk of having a painful gout attack. Potassium helps tear down uric acid crystals which will allow your renal system (i.e. your kidneys) to eliminate excess uric acid. Any foods high in potassium should be considered when you are considering what type of cures for gout to use.

Another important component of bananas which will help you with your gout treatments strategy is that bananas contain bromelain. Bromelain has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain during an attack. This is a definite bonus when it comes to the treatment of gout. While bananas didn't provide a huge relief to my symptoms, it did help cut the edge off the gout attack.

2. Blueberries.

Blueberries are a favorite snack for my family, and a big help for those who have gout. One of the main causes of gout is inflammation and blueberries go to the root of the problem. Effective gout remedies should contain foods that have anti-inflammatory properties. Blueberries, as well as bananas contain anti-swelling elements. Blueberries contain anthocyanins which are anti-inflammatory. The cause for swelling in affected joints is the formation of excess uric acid crystals and these anthocyanins help reduce the swelling. Not to mention all the other benefits and cancer-fighting antioxidants that blueberries have, you can't go wrong eating these tasty treats.

3. Grapes

While not one of the more known natural cures for gout, grapes are also helpful as a supplemental remedy because grapes lower the acidity of your blood as they have a high alkalinity content. This helps in reduction of uric acid levels. As an added benefit, grapes are also high in antioxidants.

4. Cherries

Most gout treatments lists consider cherries the king of curing gout naturally. I know this is the one I use the most. I take Montmorency cherry juice concentrate every single day, and I think this is one of the main reasons I have been able to prevent recurrent attacks. From eating cherries when they are in season to taking a concentrate during the winter, cherries are definitely an incredible gout cures food. Cherries have enzymes which neutralize uric acid. Cherries also contain anthocyanins. This makes cherries for gout very potent as they not only neutralize the cause of gout, they're an excellent treatment against the inflammatory side effects of an attack.

5. Alfalfa

Alfalfa is an herbal gout cure that I decided to give a try earlier for this past year. I've probably used it for a total of six months so far and I have to say the results have been amazing! It is quite the herb. I was at a nutritional meeting with some friends and a nutrition expert and the subject of alfalfa was brought up. I was unaware that alfalfa would help with gout. The expert discussed how this potent herb was great for arthritis and it got my mind churning. I decided to give it a try for gout. After all, gout is a form of arthritis.

After a month I actually weaned myself off the cherry juice to see what would happen. I wanted to check alfalfa's potency by itself. To my surprise I think it worked better than cherries. In fact, from time to time I'd take ibuprofen even while drinking cherry concentrate for gout. Usually when I felt a small flare up coming on. It had done wonders to keep an acute attack at bay. However, with alfalfa, I hardly ever have to take ibuprofen.

This is great in the long term, because not only is alfalfa very healthy for you, but I also get the benefit of reducing the risk of long term side effects from taking ibuprofen, not that I was taking it every day with cherries, I was not, but I have cut down ibuprofen usage by my estimates of around 80-90%. I discussed this with my naturopathic physician and she said she was not surprised at all. She believed that alfalfa was much more beneficial to gout than cherries and she was a firm believer in cherries.

I will say that I did have my first acute gout attack a month or so ago and I was not sure why. It was quite puzzling and my attack was quite strong. I had not had an acute bout with this for easily over a year. It was bad enough I had to take a week off of work. I finally figured it out. I was given by a kinesiologist, someone who studies the nerve impulses to the muscles to diagnose health, depending on the literature you read will depend on whether you get a positive or negative feedback about kinesiology. I find it helpful, but not totally conclusive. Anyways, they put me on a diet, which I did need, and had me taking this supplement to help me out. Unfortunately, that supplement contained beef pancreas, and beef organs is one of the worst things you can take. I was prescribed to take 3 pills a meal, so a total of 9 pills a day. Of course, even alfalfa could not overcome this and I had the attack. The attack took about a week go get rid of, and I eliminated that supplement from my diet. Now, I am back to not taking ibuprofen and I still have only been taking the alfalfa. I still do use cherries from time to time, but I try to only use one mostly for costs sake, more than anything.

Bananas, blueberries, grapes, cherries, and alfalfa are just a few of the available natural gout treatments that you can eat to help you greatly reduce your risk of gouty arthritis. These potent fruits not only are great gout cures, they are also great tasting. Combine the benefits of these fruits and enjoy beating gout instead of suffering the agony it causes.

Until later,

Medicman

*Disclaimer: While these methods work for me and I believe they will work for you, I am not a physician and you should always consult with your physician before making any changes to your medication usage.







0 comments: